Subject: Re: renaming files
From: spcecdt@deeptht.armory.com (John DuBois)
Date: 26 Nov 2001 07:37:15 GMT

In article <3c00bafe.1518158@news.libero.it>,
Duilio Foschi <dedalus@yifan.net> wrote:
>I want to rename all files starting with 01 into files starting with
>02.
>
>The command
>
>ren 01*.* 02*.*
>
>works under Dos.
>
>I was expecting the command
>
>mv 01* 02*
>
>to work under Unix, but it doesn't.

I would do:

ren '01*' '02*'

Or, if what I actually wanted was to increment the first two digits of every
filename:

ren '[0-9][0-9]*' '[0-9][0-9]*.tmp'
ren -m1:2=i+1 -z2 '[0-9][0-9]*.tmp' '[0-9][0-9]*'

ftp://ftp.armory.com./pub/scripts/ren

        John
--
John DuBois  spcecdt@armory.com.  KC6QKZ/AE  http://www.armory.com./~spcecdt/

-> -> renaming files ren ––>Re: renaming files with wildcards

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use sed." Now they have two problems. (Jamie Zawinski)

This post tagged: