performance slow ami raid amird

What is this stuff?

If this isn't exactly what you wanted, please try our Search (there's a LOT of techy and non-techy stuff here about Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and just computers in general!):

From: "JP" <pangjo@hotmail.com>
<3C043518.BB53E142@tkg.ca> Subject: Re: Performance Degradation on New Hardware Platform Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:05:34 -0500 We have the SMP installed. To give it a benefit of doubt, we re-installed the RS506a. Also, the second NIC was phyically removed. Unfortuantely, there was still no apparent improvement. Finally, we talked to HP and have the UNIX support team told us to disable the AMI Raid Monitor (under /etc/idrc.d/amird). The system started to speed up. They said there had been known performance issue with the monitor turned on. I don't understand why they do not make it known to the customers by printing the info in the form of release notes.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Joe

"Mike Brown" <mike@tkg.ca> wrote in message news:3C043518.BB53E142@tkg.ca...
> JP wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Mike,
> >
> > We actually have two NIC's, each has a different network number.  Both
> > network controllers are connected to the switch.
> >
> > > If you sit at the console just hitting the enter key about
> > > twice per second, does it randomly stop echoing, then
> > > catch up and echo two or three prompts together?
> >
> > That happens to the workstation but not on the console.  However, on the
> > console, even when I type in simple commands such as "clear" or "l", it
> > takes anywhere between 1 to 2 seconds to respond.  The seoncd time you
issue
> > the "l" command, the response time will be much quicker because it has
been
> > cached.
> >
> > Would you suggest removing the second NIC if the other network segment
can
> > be removed?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > > Some combinations had a problem with the network card, particularly if
> > > it was not connected.  If you sit at the console just hitting the
enter
> > > key about twice per second, does it randomly stop echoing, then catch
> > > up and echo two or three prompts together?
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >
> > > --
> > > Michael Brown
> > >
> > > The Kingsway Group
>
> If the performance of simple text commands over the network differs
substantially
> from the same operation on the console I would suspect the network card dr
ivers.
> If you are not using ( or have not configured ) DNS then make sure named
is not
> running.
>
> Check for the patches ( 506a ) and the correct loading sequence first, and
if
> that looks okay then remove the network card setup and retest.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Michael Brown
>
> The Kingsway Group

-> -> performance slow ami raid amird ––>Re: PerformanceDegradation on New Hardware Platform