Pentium 4 overheating OSR5

What is this stuff?

If this isn't exactly what you wanted, please try our Search (there's a LOT of techy and non-techy stuff here about Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and just computers in general!):

From: Bela Lubkin <belal@sco.com>
Subject: Re: Pentium4 and older OpenServer5
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:54:42 GMT
<4d7f2cbb.0301130741.7491c6e9@posting.google.com> Dave Butler wrote: > > So I think you can run pre-5.0.6 on a P4; however, don't be > > surprised if the CPU responds by slowing itself way down over time, > > to the point where you may find a higher-end P3 outperforms it. > > > > Remember, it's been a while since I looked into this so take > > my post with a grain of salt and do some research yourself. I'm > > not responsible for any spontaneous CPU combustion that may result > > from you running your choice of non-P4-aware OS on a P4 - you are! > > I would appreciate it if someone from SCO could confirm or deny this. > There is a world of difference between 1) Frying a CPU and 2) Simply > running slower, but doing no damage. > > If possible, I would like to run OSR 5.0.5 on P4 systems, but have > been scared away because of that tech note on damaging the CPU.

I have never heard of a machine _actually_ being damaged by OSR5
overheating a P4 CPU.  As far as I know, the warnings are all
theoretical.  However, we know by code analysis that if everything went
wrong in just the right way, and if we understand Intel's description of
the CPU's behavior, it _would_ be possible to damage a P4 CPU.  Fixes
for these theoretical issues were developed and shipped in rs506a.

Operating OSR5 on a P4 without rs506a is a gamble.  Are you likely to
win?  Yes, but you might not.

What are you doing that you need OSR505 specifically?

>Bela<

-> -> Pentium 4 overheating OSR5