OSR5 compiling source why the problems?

What is this stuff?

If this isn't exactly what you wanted, please try our Search (there's a LOT of techy and non-techy stuff here about Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and just computers in general!):

From: Bela Lubkin <belal@sco.com>
Subject: Re: Building Perl 5.8.0 on SCO OSR 5.0.6  socketpair.t - problem
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 05:25:49 GMT
<bHnW9.10$hn1.5195@news.onenet.net> Bill Walker wrote: > Mike Brown <mike@tkg.ca> wrote: > > > >> > > I tried building Perl 5.8.0 on my SCO Openserver 5.0.6 > >> > > but one of the test failed: > > > > I have tried both extensively, and feel the stability of SCO is worth a bit > > of extra effort. The people at SCO realize the importance of good development > > tools, such as GCC and PERL, and I think you will see more effort placed > > I agree, and hope that SCO will fix the dad-gummed loader or > whatever is the real, down at the root, base problem. It is just plain > silly that we have to 'rassle to get things to link and load properly > when (evidently) a large portion of the rest of the world just compiles, > installs, and executes such important tools as Perl, gimp, and so forth. > > Please SCO, fix the thing if you want to keep your loyal > customers!

Perl is a huge, complex system.  Someone posts that its test suite gives
it a 99.86% pass with no porting, and you are whining about the poor
compatibility of the development system?  Give me a break.

(Oh wait: "Failed 1/712 test scripts, 99.86% okay. 31/68005 subtests
failed, 99.95% okay." -- so that's 99.95% ok at the detail level.)

Building complex software takes work.  If you're building Perl on Linux,
someone else may already have done the work for you.  Or not -- it
depends on what versions of what libraries you have installed, what Perl
finds, how it all hangs together.  It's much the same on OpenServer,
except there are many less "distributions" of OpenServer, so once one
person does the work, it should apply to most OSR5 systems.

Whatever's causing 31 subtests to fail can be found and fixed.  Someone
just needs to do it.  It may turn out to be a bug in OSR5 socketpair();
a bug in Perl; or a miscommunication between the two (Perl configured
incorrectly for the facilities on OSR5).

>Bela<

-> -> OSR5 compiling source why the problems?

Doing linear scans over an associative array is like trying to club someone to death with a loaded Uzi. (Larry Wall)

This post tagged: