OSR5 anonymous ftp inetd.conf

From: "Flemming Haurum" <fha@lyngso-industri.dk>
Subject: Re: Anonymous ftp can't delete or rename - 5.0.6a
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:52:51 +0100

Hi group,

I have found the cure.

I would say one error and one changed behaviour. SCO should be informed
about this.

The ftpd line in /etc/inetd.conf must have the option -a appended. Even
though the man page for ftpd says that -a is default behaviour, it is not
true.

The /etc/ftpaccess file must have an entry specifying the users that can
delete files. Syntax: "delete yes class=all". This syntax is not obvious as
the sample /etc/ftpaccess file contains lines saying, "tar yes all" and
"compress yes all". A consistent syntax should be that all class references
should be prefixed by "class=" or none should be prefixed. But not a mix of
syntax.

Best regards
Flemming

"Flemming Haurum" <fha@lyngso-industri.dk> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> I have a problem with an OpenServer 5.0.6a where the anonymous user are
able
> to dir, put and get but can't delete or rename files.
>
> The ftp server reports code 553: Permission denied on server.
>
> I strongly believe that I have followed the instructions in 'man ftpd' on
> how to configure anonymous ftp access. Furthermore I have a server running
> 5.0.6 (no A) and with that one there is no problems with anonymous ftp. So
> in my mind the ftp server has been changed in version 5.0.6a and not to
the
> better.
>
> Even though 'delete yes all' in /etc/ftpaccess should be default behaviour
> have added that line, but that did not change anything.
>
> I have put a snip to show exactly what is happening.
>
> Just to make sure that the file I am going to upload is non existing:
>     ftp> dir errorlog.txt
>     200 PORT command successful.
>     150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
>     226 Transfer complete.
>
> Upload file to the ftp server, Success:
>     ftp> put errorlog.txt
>     200 PORT command successful.
>     150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for errorlog.txt.
>     226 Transfer complete.
>     ftp: 436 bytes sent in 0,00Seconds 436000,00Kbytes/sec.
>
> Download file from ftp server, Success:
>     ftp> get errorlog.txt
>     200 PORT command successful.
>     150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for errorlog.txt (436 bytes).
>     226 Transfer complete.
>     ftp: 436 bytes received in 0,00Seconds 436000,00Kbytes/sec.
>
> Delete file that I previously has uploaded, Failure:
>     ftp> del errorlog.txt
>     553 errorlog.txt: Permission denied on server. (Delete)
>
> Rename file that I previously has uploaded, Failure:
>     ftp> ren errorlog.txt help.txt
>     350 File exists, ready for destination name
>     553 errorlog.txt: Permission denied on server. (rename)
>
> I can list the file via ftp:
>     ftp> dir errorlog.txt
>     200 PORT command successful.
>     150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
>     -rw-r--r--   1 ftp          436 Jan 21 14:15 errorlog.txt
>     226 Transfer complete.
>     ftp: 59 bytes received in 0,00Seconds 59000,00Kbytes/sec.
>
> When I type ls -al errorlog.txt the file should have sufficient rights:
>     -rw-r--r--   1 ftp      ftp          436 Jan 21 14:15 errorlog.txt
>
> Hmm, what is wrong?
>
> Look forward to hear from you
> Best regards
> Flemming

-> -> OSR5 anonymous ftp inetd.conf

The activity of "debugging", or removing bugs from a program, ends when people get tired of doing it, not when the bugs are removed. (Datamation)

This post tagged: