OSR5 anonymous ftp inetd.conf

What is this stuff?

If this isn't exactly what you wanted, please try our Search (there's a LOT of techy and non-techy stuff here about Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and just computers in general!):

From: Bill Campbell <bill@celestial.com>
Subject: Re: Anonymous ftp can't delete or rename - 5.0.6a
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:33:17 GMT
<3e2d5ec2$0$209$4d4eb98e@news.dk.uu.net> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 03:52:51PM +0100, Flemming Haurum wrote: >Hi group, > >I have found the cure. > >I would say one error and one changed behaviour. SCO should be informed >about this. > >The ftpd line in /etc/inetd.conf must have the option -a appended. Even >though the man page for ftpd says that -a is default behaviour, it is not >true. > >The /etc/ftpaccess file must have an entry specifying the users that can >delete files. Syntax: "delete yes class=all". This syntax is not obvious as >the sample /etc/ftpaccess file contains lines saying, "tar yes all" and >"compress yes all". A consistent syntax should be that all class references >should be prefixed by "class=" or none should be prefixed. But not a mix of >syntax. Be _VERY_ careful what you do here. Turning off these features leaves your anonymous ftp server open to abuse by people who will find it and use it as a drop point for copyrighted or illegal software. Don't think this won't happen to you! We see several hundred probes every day at our servers here, and at our customer's sites where people are looking for open sites.

A properly configured anonymous ftp server will automatically make any
uploaded files unreadable and unchangeable by anonymous ftp users, sending
an e-mail message to the administrator so they can move the files to an
appropriate place with appropriate permissions.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The pinnacle of open systems is: when moving from vendor to vendor, the
design flaws stay the same.

-> -> OSR5 anonymous ftp inetd.conf

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. (Albert Einstein)

This post tagged: