OSR5 extract one package from VOL set

From: Jean-Pierre Radley <jpr@jpr.com>
Subject: Re: custom from remote systems
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 05:23:48 GMT
<20030122210934.B23819@mammoth.ca.sco.com> Bela Lubkin typed (on Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 05:09:34AM +0000): | Stuart J. Browne wrote: | | > > >To configure an 'other' system to serve out Custom packages, what needs to be | > > >done do a non OSR5 system in order to allow it to serve out the custom images | > > >remotely? | | You _might_ get away with replacing /dev/cd0 with a symlink to a remote | CD-ROM device node via NFS. I'm skeptical but it might work. | | > > Couldn't you use FTP (or NFS pointing to the Linux system) to get the | > > images from, for example, the 5.0.6 Release Supplement or the | > > downloaded VOL files from SCO's download site, to install Sendmail via | > > custom? You simply need to get the VOLs onto the system, or into a | > > remote directory that the SCO system can access. | | > I don't think so.. but in any case, I don't like the prospect of ftping the | > volume files on the CD across, given that they are MANY and I have no idea | > which ones are actually Sendmail's. | | In the directory with all the VOL.* files, there are also VOL.*.files | files. `grep` will tell you which of those have to do with sendmail. | It should be just one. You will also need VOL.000.000 and possibly 001, | which is/are the index of the rest of it. Then if you're very lucky, it | might work. I forget whether custom insists on opening every single VOL | file to verify that what the index told it was true, or if it just | believes the index. If it believes the index then the absence of the | rest of the gaggle shouldn't offend it. I've pulled this trick before. You need just 000 and 001 and then whatever contains the package you're after.

--
JP

-> -> OSR5 extract one package from VOL set

The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he, by peddling second rate technology, led them into it in the first place, and continues to do so today. (Douglas Adams)

This post tagged: