OSR5 no run level fixrunlevel runlevel utmp

What is this stuff?

If this isn't exactly what you wanted, please try our Search (there's a LOT of techy and non-techy stuff here about Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and just computers in general!):

From: Jean-Pierre Radley <jpr@jpr.com>
Subject: Re: no run level
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:07:28 GMT

Troyk typed (on Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 01:47:13PM -0500):

| Ran into a 5.0.4 SCO box with an odd problem.  Whenever you try to
| enable or disable a tty, eg, tty1A you get the message "enable: no run
| level".  Also doing a who -r comes up blank.
|
| Don't know the history on this box but the users were telling me that
| they could never get a printer to work slaved directly off the box, all
| printers are setup through print servers.
|
| The tty's work, ie, the modem and a digi etherlite that I installed on
| it.  Only way I could change the state of the ttys (enable or disable)
| was to edit the inittab and do a kill -1 1.
|
| Someone told me to check the utmp and wtmp files in /etc, but I don't
| think it's those.

It most assuredly *is* those files.  Here's 'fixrunlevel':

#!/bin/sh
# John DuBois script to restore runlevel 2 into utmp
gawk '
BEGIN {
t = systime()
printf "\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0run-level 2\0\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0%c%c%c%c",t,t/256,t/65536,t/16777216
}' >> /etc/utmp

--
JP

-> -> OSR5 no run level fixrunlevel runlevel utmp