utmpx wtmpx bcheckrc OSR5

What is this stuff?

If this isn't exactly what you wanted, please try our Search (there's a LOT of techy and non-techy stuff here about Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and just computers in general!):

From: Bela Lubkin <belal@sco.com>
Subject: Re: no run level
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 04:59:48 GMT
<mvuo3vge1ktf8a7p1a5chithgkn7i1qufd@4ax.com> Scott McMillan wrote: > >That script didn't fix it, but I found this in /etc/rc.d/8/userdef > > > >> /etc/utmp > >> /etc/wtmp > >> /etc/utmpx > >> /etc/wtmpx > > > >And a bunch of other stuff. I commented those lines out and now it's > >working after a reboot. > > Wow, someone definitely misunderstood this write-up > http://aplawrence.com/cgi-bin/ta.pl?arg=105610 > > which clearly states "The above script can be run manually prior to > shutting the system down". Your system was clearing these out as it > was coming back up.

Current releases of OSR5 do blank utmp and utmpx during startup (it's
wrong to blank wtmp*).  But the blanking is done much earlier in
startup, in /etc/bcheckrc (which is run very early out of inittab).

>Bela<

-> -> utmpx wtmpx bcheckrc OSR5

We must be very careful when we give advice to younger people: sometimes they follow it! (Edsger W. Dijkstra)

This post tagged: