tar exit codes OSR5

If this isn't exactly what you wanted, please try our Search (there's a LOT of techy and non-techy stuff here about Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and just computers in general!):

Subject: Re: tar exit values (return codes)
From: spcecdt@deeptht.armory.com (John DuBois)
Date: Thu, Mar 27, 2003 7:53 PM

In article <3E82E922.2000008@infotop.co.uk>,
Ian Wilson  <scobloke2@infotop.co.uk> wrote:

>Ian Wilson wrote:
>
>> For 'tar cf /dev/rSt0' in OSR505 I find that return codes are as follows
>>   0 when no problems occurred.
>>   6 when no tape in drive.
>>  16 when someone else is using the device.
>>
>> is there a full list of return codes and meanings?

Unfortunately, no.

>143 when tar is SIGTERMed
>5 when tape is write protected
>130 when tar is INTERRUPTed
>Empiric methods can be so slow!
>
>Stand by whilst I discover the exit code for "tape drive on fire" ...

Values over 128 represent the OR'ing of 128 with a signal that killed tar (or
any other program).  SIGINT = 2; 128 + 2 = 130; SIGTERM = 15 ...

Skimming the tar source turns up these exit codes:

0 - success
1 - bad directory tree, failed to extract a requested file,
    input file same as output file, failed to open input file,
    could not create link, link table malloc  failure
2 - internationalization error that should never occur,
    checksum error
5 - checksum error
9 (EBADF) - error reading /etc/default/tar, misplaced end of volume
12 (ENOMEM) - failure to allocate memory for buffer
22 (EINVAL) - bad invokation (argument syntax errors),
    bad parameters to options
28 (ENOSPC) - file too large for a volume
78 (ENAMETOOLONG) - cwd name too long
171 (ETOAST) - tape drive on fire
fork()/execl() errno if /bin/pwd & /usr/bin/pwd cannot be executed (unlikely)
pipe(), fork(), and execl() errnos for problems in creating pipe to compressor
read()/write() errno - tape read/write error
fopen() errno - failure to create tempfile
creat() errno - could not create output file
write() errno - failure to write extracted file
mkdir() errno - failure to make directory
dup()/open() errno - failure to reopen input/output
lseek()/reak() errno - failure to seek/skip on archive
fopen(), fread() errno - failure to read from file list file

You got 5 for a write-protected tape because that's the errno EIO (I/O error).

        John
--
John DuBois  spcecdt@armory.com  KC6QKZ/AE  http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

Got something to add? Send me email.

3 comments

Increase ad revenue 50-250% with Ezoic

Fri Jul 30 21:43:24 2010: 8868   Mike

gravatar

Tar is exiting with 64. What does it mean?

Fri Jul 30 23:23:15 2010: 8869   TonyLawrence

gravatar

Unknown tar on an unknown operating system. How would we know? If you have source, look it up.

Tue Nov 15 06:48:07 2011: 10183   ShellyS

gravatar

I received the exit code 64 also. In my case, I found out that the tar command failed because the first file in my archive started with '-', and tar apparently saw that as another command line option. To resolve my issue, I added '--' to the tar command like so:
tar cvf mybackup.tar -- *

The '--' tells the tar command that no more command line options are coming.

Support Rates

Whenever the literary German dives into a sentence, that is the last you are going to see of him till he emerges on the other side of his Atlantic with his verb in his mouth. (Mark Twain)

This post tagged: