RSS Feeds RSS Feeds

(OLDER) <- More Stuff -> (NEWER) (NEWEST)
Printer Friendly Version

identifying source of ttloop login failures

From: Bela Lubkin <belal@sco.com>
Subject: Re: ttloop peer died
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:31:03 GMT
<20031014210226.GA26230@tkrh.demon.co.uk> Tom Melvin wrote: > The customer is not complaining of failed login, it is a 15 user m/c I > would think the default 64 pseudo ttys are fine. Actually, just relooked > at syslog: > > Oct 13 01:57:22 cvntry telnetd[28609]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 02:08:08 cvntry telnetd[28616]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 02:20:57 cvntry telnetd[28630]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 02:32:32 cvntry telnetd[28637]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 02:43:26 cvntry telnetd[28639]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 02:54:18 cvntry telnetd[28641]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 03:05:14 cvntry telnetd[28663]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 03:16:04 cvntry telnetd[28674]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 03:27:01 cvntry telnetd[28681]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 03:38:02 cvntry telnetd[28683]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 03:48:52 cvntry telnetd[28685]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 04:00:28 cvntry telnetd[28692]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 04:10:29 cvntry telnetd[28703]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 04:18:59 cvntry telnetd[28705]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 04:27:29 cvntry telnetd[28712]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 04:35:59 cvntry telnetd[28714]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 04:44:27 cvntry telnetd[28716]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 04:52:53 cvntry telnetd[28718]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 05:02:17 cvntry telnetd[28725]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > Oct 13 05:11:16 cvntry telnetd[28736]: ttloop: peer died: Unknown error > > All these times are in the early am - they do not use the system over > night - those must be left over from during the day but then again, > the 13th was a monday, they also don't use the system on Sunday's > so I have no idea where those are comming from. Weird

It could be some sort of an attack; or some device (like a network
printer) wigging out.  Notice that the times are pretty evenly spaced:
about 10 minutes apart, until the last few which are about 8.5 minutes
apart.  The regularity strongly suggests some sort of automated process.

You could put in a little watcher daemon, something like:

  #!/bin/sh
  while :; do
    tail -0f /usr/adm/syslog | grep -q ttloop
    date >> /usr/adm/ttloop-netstat
    netstat -n -p tcp | fgrep '.23 ' >> /usr/adm/ttloop-netstat
  done

You're looking for output that looks something like:

  Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address (state)
  tcp        0      0  127.0.0.1.23           127.0.0.1.1160 TIME_WAIT

Here I had done a `telnet localhost` and immediately disconnected.  Your
mystery connections will probably be from a different host, and may be
in a different state than TIME_WAIT (but probably TIME_WAIT).  The "-n"
flag skips hostname lookups, which could be slow in some cases, and
might possibly make it miss the actual lines you're interested in.  Once
you have an idea of which lines are the mystery telnets, you can look
the names up witn `ping`, `host`, `nslookup`, etc.

>Bela<

If this page was useful to you, please help others find it:

2 comments

Click here to add your comments

Wed Jun 8 00:15:47 2005: 632   davrom

Hi Guys, Could be DNS. I had this issue this morning with a site and it was /etc/resolv.conf entries causing the long telnet delays and timeoutes.

Wed Jun 8 10:08:34 2005: 633   TonyLawrence

gravatar
Yes, DNS can cause long delays for telnet and ftp ( see http://www.aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec4telnetslow.html) but this
has nothing to do with that.

Don't miss responses! Subscribe to Comments by RSS or by Email

Click here to add your comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar

Kerio Connect Mailserver

Kerio Samepage

Kerio Control Firewall

This is a Unix/Linux resource website. It contains technical articles about Unix, Linux and general computing related subjects, opinion, news, help files, how-to's, tutorials and more. We appreciate comments and article submissions.

Publishing your articles here

Jump to Comments

Many of the products and books I review are things I purchased for my own use. Some were given to me specifically for the purpose of reviewing them. I resell or can earn commissions from the sale of some of these items. Links within these pages may be affiliate links that pay me for referring you to them. That's mostly insignificant amounts of money; whenever it is not I have made my relationship plain. I also may own stock in companies mentioned here. If you have any question, please do feel free to contact me.

I am a Kerio reseller. Articles here related to Kerio products reflect my honest opinion, but I do have an obvious interest in selling those products also.

Specific links that take you to pages that allow you to purchase the item I reviewed are very likely to pay me a commission. Many of the books I review were given to me by the publishers specifically for the purpose of writing a review. These gifts and referral fees do not affect my opinions; I often give bad reviews anyway.

We use Google third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

g_face.jpg

This post tagged:

       - Bela
       - SCO_OSR5
       - Security

My Troubleshooting E-Book will show you how to solve tough problems on Linux and Unix systems!

book graphic unix and linux troubleshooting guide

Buy Kerio from a dealer
who knows tech:
I sell and support

Kerio Connect Mail server, Control, Workspace and Operator licenses and subscription renewals