adaptec u320 raid sco osr5

From: "Brian K. White" <brian@aljex.com>
Subject: Re: Adaptec 29320 Raid Setup - Need Help
Date: 24 Jul 2005 12:58:16 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "unixfox" <robert@unetix.net>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 9:43 AM

> Your right Tony, I should have looked more carefully at the Adaptec
> support page. It does say *without* HostRaid enabled.
>
> So, I'm back to square one. What controller *DOES* work with Raid 1
> Ultra 320 drives?  Is this even an option or do I need to build my own
> machines from now on?
>
> I guess I've learned my lesson.

Adaptec u320 controllers work fine, including full raid 0,1, 5, 10, etc...
You just have to get a "real" controller, not the crap^h^h^h^hhost-based
raid models.
2130 for instance. I don't know if they have fixed the problem of booting
from this family of controller with SMP though. By now they really should
have.

I've been using LSI controllers. (Megaraid 320-1, 320-2 & 320-2X myself
although the entire line looks to be supported)
The readme for the latest driver even lists some Dell models.
ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/507/drivers/amird225/amird_2.25_readme.txt

Update the firmware and make sure you use the latest driver. I had problems
with stock firmware a few months ago and cards in the distribution channel
might still have an old firmware.
The problems were basically that I could crash the drive by doing things
that should be legal (removing drives, stressing the system while drives are
missing or rebuilding, removing a drive while it's rebuilding, etc...).
Meaning the whole point of having raid was lost.

With the latest firmware and driver, I can't get it to fail anymore, but I
do still have a half-problem. If I invalidate a drive, I can't get the
controller to recognize the drive as a good useable drive when I plug it
back in. Untill I did this to more drives and refused to accept that this
many brand new drives were really bad just from unplugging them I had
actually returned a few drives under warranty.

Eventually I figured out I could use a seperate test box with the same
family of controller and boot into the web bios to sort of reset the drive.
I don't remember exactly what I had to do, possibly low-level format, which
is generally not a smart thing to do. Maybe nothing more than configuring an
array and then deleting it again. After that I plug the drive back into the
same array that rejected it before, it sees it immediately as a new working
drive and rebuilds it. This would be a real prolem if I only had one
controller in one production box, but since I have a test box with a similar
controller that's why I call it a half a problem. It's also not likely to be
a problem in most real situations because generally you plug a drive in and
it doesn't become invalid except when it really breaks, and you don't plug
that same drive back in but get a new one. I've never had the card reject a
new drive, only ones that were in an array and then marked bad.

Pay attention to the install notes (link above) for the driver. They use a
new numbering scheme that uses virtual bus (aka channel) numbers to allow up
to 40 drives in an array. So unlike most other controllers the first logical
drive is not 0,0,0,0 (adapter,bus,id,lun)

Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro  BBx    Linux  SCO  FreeBSD    #callahans  Satriani  Filk!

-> -> adaptec u320 raid sco osr5

Support Rates

Technology is both a tool for helping humans and for destroying them. This is the paradox of our times which we're compelled to face (Frank Herbert).

This post tagged: