mark extended partition active for linux

From: Robert Nichols <SEE_SIGNATURE@localhost.localdomain.invalid>
Subject: Re: can I set an extended partition as active
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:33:23 +0000 (UTC)
<aoqir2-05p.ln1@don.localnet> In article <aoqir2-05p.ln1@don.localnet>, Bill Marcum <bmarcum@iglou.com.urgent> wrote: :On 26 Jul 2005 15:23:57 -0700, linq936@hotmail.com : <linq936@hotmail.com> wrote: :> Hi, :> In reading some document of harddisk partition, I have question. MBR :> only can support 4 partitions, so to expand the ability we can create :> an extended partition, but can I make it active partition? Another :> words can I install Linux to one of the extended partiion and my PC :> will boot it by default? :> :Linux can boot from any partition, whether it is active or not. True, but FWIW you _can_ mark the extended partition active and install a Linux boot loader on the extended partition itself. I know that LILO will install there; I presume the same is true for GRUB. I've done that (with LILO) when I had Linux installed on a partition within the extended partition, and I _really_ didn't want to change the standard boot loader in the MBR. You should expect some minor complaints from M$ disk checking tools when they see the extended partition marked "active". -- Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"

-> -> Mark extended partition active

Support Rates

If Linux can skate by the patent and copyright issues, its growth in the corporate world will continue no matter what business dislikes about the GPL. (Tony Lawrence)

This post tagged: