Why "no route to host" when it can be pinged?

From: Bela Lubkin <filbo@armory.com>
Subject: Re: Telnet: route to host
Date: 3 Aug 2005 17:25:01 -0400
<20050803164313.B25182@egps.egps.com> Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote: > Bela Lubkin wrote (on Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 03:46:25PM -0400): > > Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote: > > > > > > What gets me is when I connect to a non-functioning port, I get: > > > > > > $ telnet 10.1.1.4 5555 > > > Trying 10.1.1.4... > > > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host > > > It's probably running an internal firewall which is set to generate ICMP > > host unreachable responses on attempts to access blocked ports. It's > > like the voice saying "nobody in here but us chickens", except computers > > are much more likely to take such a response literally... > > I found the telnet problem (I had to insert an IPTABLES rule). But that > wasn't my question, so I'll restate it: > > Why does the OpenServer box generate a 'no route to host' error in a > case like this? It should either wait and time out, or return > 'connection refused'. What was the generic IPTABLES rule you were overriding? I'm guessing something like: all ports not otherwise covered: reject with "ICMP destination unreachable: host unreachable" to which you added: TCP port 23 [telnet]: accept The message isn't bogus if the remote host actually sent a "host unreachable" message! >Bela<

In other words, it isn't your computer that decided there was no route; it was another system returning a message that it interpreted that way.

See Network Routing Basics also.

-> -> why no route to host when it can be pinged?

Support Rates

The real problem is that programmers have spent far too much time worrying about efficiency in the wrong places and at the wrong times; premature optimization is the root of all evil (or at least most of it) in programming. (Donald Knuth)

This post tagged: