Speed of recognizing mouse up event

From: Dances With Crows <danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: mouse question
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:47:52 -0500

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:07:10 GMT, Richard Kimber staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
> When you click with a mouse there is, I think, a down event and an up
> event.  What determines the speed with which the up event is
> registered? Is it just a hardware issue, or is there a software
> parameter that can be set?

Events are reported as fast as the kernel mouse driver can report them.
This is typically faster than human reaction time.  On a bog-standard
PS/2 mouse using the IMPS/2 protocol and the standard X settings, I get
a typical X timestamp difference of 80-90 milliseconds between button 1
press and button 1 release when I'm clicking as fast as I can.  There
may be some other differences depending on how fast the machine is and
how heavily loaded it is.

> The problem I have is that when I click on a position in an editor and
> then move the mouse I often get some unwanted selected text (i.e. it
> is behaving as if I were holding down the mouse button because I'm
> moving the mouse quicker than the up event is being registered)

> It would speed up work if I could move the mouse more quickly after a
> click.

Lay off the caffeine?  I've never had this problem, but then I think
"more haste = less speed" when it comes to writing/editing.  Or better
yet, edit text in such a way that you don't need to use the mouse at
all.  (There are 2 text editors, vim and emacs, neither one requires the
mouse, and both can do things that are very difficult or totally
impossible in other text editors.)

--
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /    "He is a rhythmic movement of the

-> -> Speed of recognizing mouse up event

Support Rates

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. (Douglas Adams)

This post tagged: