From: Netocrat <netocrat@dodo.com.au>
Subject: Re: Why am I not using 100% of cpu?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:56:36 +1000
<wx0acjf8klt.fsf@sws5.ornl.gov> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:01:34 -0400, Dave Sill wrote: > Netocrat <netocrat@dodo.com.au> writes: > >> Do you mean top or vmstat? In another post you wrote that the output was >> from vmstat, in which case perhaps your kernel version is too old. > > Both top and vmstat. > >> From the vmstat manpage: >> wa: Time spent waiting for IO. Prior to Linux 2.5.41, shown as zero. > > Well, that's bogus. If they're not reporting valid data, they should > make it look like valid data. If they'd used a dash instead of a 0, > I'd have known what was going on. Thanks for pointing that out. > > So now the question is: is I/O wait time counted as idle/system/user > time, or is it just not counted at all? I forgot to include the preceding line which would have made a difference; here they both are: id: Time spent idle. Prior to Linux 2.5.41, this includes IO-wait time. wa: Time spent waiting for IO. Prior to Linux 2.5.41, shown as zero. -- http://members.dodo.com.au/~netocrat

If this page was useful to you, please help others find it:

Comments?

Click here to add your comments

Don't miss responses! Subscribe to Comments by RSS or by Email

Click here to add your comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar

This is a Unix/Linux resource website. It contains technical articles about Unix, Linux and general computing related subjects, opinion, news, help files, how-to's, tutorials and more. We appreciate comments and article submissions.

Publishing your articles here

Jump to Comments

Many of the products and books I review are things I purchased for my own use. Some were given to me specifically for the purpose of reviewing them. I resell or can earn commissions from the sale of some of these items. Links within these pages may be affiliate links that pay me for referring you to them. That's mostly insignificant amounts of money; whenever it is not I have made my relationship plain. I also may own stock in companies mentioned here. If you have any question, please do feel free to contact me.

I am a Kerio reseller. Articles here related to Kerio products reflect my honest opinion, but I do have an obvious interest in selling those products also.

Specific links that take you to pages that allow you to purchase the item I reviewed are very likely to pay me a commission. Many of the books I review were given to me by the publishers specifically for the purpose of writing a review. These gifts and referral fees do not affect my opinions; I often give bad reviews anyway.

We use Google third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

pavatar.jpg

This post tagged:

       - Linux

TechConsumer badge

My Troubleshooting E-Book will show you how to solve tough problems on Linux and Unix systems!

book graphic unix and linux troubleshooting guide

Buy Kerio from a dealer
who knows tech:
I sell and support

Kerio Connect Mail server, Control, Workspace and Operator licenses and subscription renewals