openserver vnc

From: "Greg Hines" <greghines@bigfoot.com.NOSPAM>
Subject: Re: VNC giving a gray screen on OSR5.0.6
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:08:17 +1000

 ?
VNC on Sco Open Server

> Did you try either of the suggestions Tony or I gave to you?

Tony's links did lead me to http://aplawrence.com/OSR5/osr5vnc.html which
did help.

From what I can understand there are two ways to setup VNC.  With and
without using inetd.  The article at
http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/vnc_sco_openserver.html explains how to setup
VNC using inetd to start your VNC sessions.  The problem with the article is
it tells you to  ln -s /etc/init.d/vncserver /etc/rc2.d/S99vncserver when in
fact this is *not* needed at all when using inetd to start your vnc
sessions.

In all other aspects the article is correct.  My problem was I followed the
article and found S99vncserver was producing errors and assumed it was the
problem.  And it was not.  In fact the problem turned out to be that this
sco box was not using a mouse and therefore was not configured as such.
Installing the mouse and deleting /etc/rc2.d/S99vncserver fixed the problem
so scosession would start.

Therefore if you do not want to use inetd, do not place the entries in
/etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf and do*** not***  ln -s
/etc/init.d/vncserver /etc/rc2.d/S99vncserver as it will never work. Instead
place the following into /etc/rc2.d/S99vncserver

:
HOME=/
export HOME
rm -r /tmp/.X11-unix >/dev/null 2>&1
/etc/init.d/vncserver start

then chmod 755 /etc/rc2.d/S99vncserver
I hope the is helpful.Greggreghines@bigfoot.com.NOSPAMRemove NOSPAM when
replying

Support Rates

Securing a computer system has traditionally been a battle of wits: the penetrator tries to find the holes, and the designer tries to close them. (Gosser)

This post tagged: