disable usb sco 5.07 install compaq

From: "Kevin Fleming" <kevintickle@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Dell PowerEdge 1800
Date: 8 Sep 2005 08:49:10 -0700

Jim  Bonnet wrote:
> "We are using SCO Open Server 5.6.  We are planning to migrate it to a
> new
> Dell PowerEdge 1800.  We want to know whether it's compatible with SCO
> Unix.
> Any known problems?"
>
> Shouldn't be an issue. This is the same machine except for the case as
> the 1850 which is certified.
>
> Disable HT, Disable USB and make sure you purchase it with the CD not
> CDRW, and read the README for the amird 2.25 driver. The bootstring is
> very important.
>

> http://www.sco.com/chwp
>
> --jim

Just to throw in my $0.02 about the Dells...if it works, it will
probably work great, but I just spent 2 days trying to get 507
installed on a 2850.
Here is a quick and dirty list of things that I found:

1 - though 506 installed fine, 507 wouldn't install at all.  turns out
it was a "known issue" (thanks, dell) with the specific model of
CDRW/DVD (model  TS-L462)combo drive.  replaced it with the DVDRW from
my Dell notebook and the install worked fine.  simple enough to type,
but took a good 10 hours to figure out...more about it here:
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/sco-poweredge/2005-July/000223.html

2 - disabling the USB in the BIOS disabled the CD-ROM.  yeah, i know it
sounds weird, but the IDE cdrom drive is somehow dependent on the BIOS
USB settings

3 - the BIOS lets you assign IRQs to different devices, but it always
assigns the same IRQ to certain things...like video, raid, and usb all
on the same one.  that's what made us try turning off the USB in the
bios, but ran into the CDROM problem.  however, adding
"disable=usb_uhci,usb_ohci,usb_ehci" to the defbootstr seems to have
cleared that up.  the network adapter keeps cutting out if you don't.

That's about it for me.  Hopefully the time I spent finding this stuff
out will save someone else the trouble.

Kevin

Support Rates

A crowded police docket is the surest of all signs that trade is brisk and money plenty. (Mark Twain)

This post tagged: