bynari vs. sendmail, sendmail for windows

From: bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion)
Subject: Re: SCO Office mail server--feedback?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:15:01 GMT

In article <1131564110.897747.13850@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Dan Martin <dc.martin@verizon.net> wrote:
>Can anyone offer feedback on SCO Office mail server?
>
>Would you recommend as a recplacement for MS Exchange,
>with less than 100 users?

I'd recommend FreeBSD.  Currently the 4.x as 5.x has been
problematic for some and 6.0 is only a week old.

I moved to a FreeBSD platform from SGI's IRIX for an ISP in 1996.
I've used it there and at a followup ISP ever since.

100 users is child's play on the 4.x, with sendmail, and
with a 400MHz PII.  If there is a lot of mail and IF all users
are using SpamAssassin - you will require more horsepower as
Perl will chew up a bit of CPU power doing it's filtering.

And if you are not doing filtering you can handle a LOT of email.
Until I finally removed all MX records for one site, it was
getting up to 300,000 spam messages/day.  I'd see 60 instances of
sendmail running, but the loads never got high.  Truly efficient.

I've just taken our mailserver down after 609 days of uptime [there
were no security patches which required reboots] because I moved it
to a newer platform with more CPU power.

Now one comment on why you may want to stay on an MS based platform
- but NOT with the MS mail.

If you are really confortable with admining MS systems, and Unix
systems are new to you and somewhat daunting - you may want to
look into sendmail for MS.  It's called Mailstream in that
environment - but it's basically a commercial and supported
sendmail product.

You can check it out at http://www.sendmail.com.

The free sendmail is  www.sendmail.org   - so don't get there
and expect to find the commercial version.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

-> -> bynari vs. sendmail, sendmail for windows

Increase ad revenue 50-250% with Ezoic

Kerio Connect Mailserver

Kerio Samepage

Kerio Control Firewall

Have you tried Searching this site?

Support Rates

AOL is like the cockroach left after the nuclear bomb hits. They know how to survive. (Jan Horsfall, VP of Marketing for Lycos)

This post tagged: