cups printing osr6

From: Jean-Pierre Radley <jpr@jpr.com>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
Subject: Re: OpenServer 5.07 mp4
Date: 11 Nov 2005 19:18:11 -0500

Martin Rubenstein typed (on Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 03:18:46PM -0800):
| I have just noted the existance of mp4 for OS 5.07, have read the release
| notes and recent postings here.  Two questions:
|
| 1.  We are using BackupEDGE 1.02.04.  Does mp4 break this earlier version?

No one has said so (yet).  But as it has to do with the use of a
Microlite-supplied encryption library, and B/E 01.02.04 didn't have
encryption capabilities, I'll wager the answer is, "no problem".

| 2.  I'm confused about changes to the printer subsystem (CUPS and SYSV
| printers).  We are not using rlp.  There are printers configured using HP
| Jetadmin utility  from scoadmin with /dev/null as their listed devices.
| There are printers the are configured using facetwin where the devices are
| pipes in the facetwin directory tree.  There are dot matrix printers
| connected to Digi serial ports.  What happens to the printers and their
| interface files when CUPS is installed as part of mp4?  should I not install
| CUPS?

Nothing happens to what you're successfully doing.  SYSV printing
remains the default setting in /etc/default/lpd, unless one day you
decide to set it to CUPS.  In the meantime you can use CUPS printing
facilities by adding the '--cups' option to various commands such as
lp or lpstat or cancel or accept.  IOW, you can explore CUPS printing
without having to demolish your already-working printer setups.

--
JP

-> -> Cups printing SCO OSR6

Support Rates

If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in. (Edsger W. Dijkstra)

This post tagged: