From: johne@seasip.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: Booting SCO 3.2v4.0 hard disk image in VMware or Bochs
Date: 7 Feb 2006 02:12:44 -0800

Robert Giles wrote:
> Ahhhhh...  ok, well I'll go Google around for divvy, I had no idea there
> were multiple filesystems within one partition!

  Oddly enough, I was doing something very similar (extracting data
from a 3.2v4.2 system using Linux) last week. It took a lot of false
starts, but the eventual technique I used was:

- Run 'divvy' on the SCO machine, and note the output.
- Image its hard drive, and then restore the image into a virtual HD in
Virtual PC.
- Boot Linux in Virtual PC.
- Scan the imaged drive for a sector with the correct EAFS magic number
(0xfd187e21 at offset xxxxx3F8), and note how many sectors it is from
the start of the partition. That gives the offset to the first
filesystem, and the rest can be calculated from the divvy output.
- Use 'dd' with appropriate options to pull out the filesystems - eg:

dd if=/dev/hdd4 of=root.fs bs=1024 skip=8001 count=<count from divvy
output>
dd if=/dev/hdd4 of=u.fs bs=1024 skip=<8001+divvy offset> count=<divvy
count>

- Mount the resulting file using "-o loop,ro".

  On the Linux side, I was using an ancient 2.0.30 install manually
patched with the sco_fs patches (which were designed for 2.1.30, so
applying them wasn't straightforward). My understanding is that the
mainline Linux kernel only supports AFS (magic 0xfd187e20), not EAFS.
The sco_fs patches are also supposed to add divvy support to the Linux
kernel, but in my case they didn't get the subpartitions right so I
ended up using 'dd' as described above.
  One other thing - make sure the clock on the SCO system is set to
later than 1980. The machine I was imaging thought it was 1976 (no Y2K
patches had been applied) and Linux won't mount an EAFS system if its
check date is before 1980.

--
John Elliott

If this page was useful to you, please help others find it:

Comments?

Click here to add your comments
- no registration needed!

Don't miss responses! Subscribe to Comments by RSS or by Email

Click here to add your comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar

This is a Unix/Linux resource website. It contains technical articles about Unix, Linux and general computing related subjects, opinion, news, help files, how-to's, tutorials and more. We appreciate comments and article submissions.

Publishing your articles here

Jump to Comments

Many of the products and books I review are things I purchased for my own use. Some were given to me specifically for the purpose of reviewing them. I resell or can earn commissions from the sale of some of these items. Links within these pages may be affiliate links that pay me for referring you to them. That's mostly insignificant amounts of money; whenever it is not I have made my relationship plain. I also may own stock in companies mentioned here. If you have any question, please do feel free to contact me.

I am a Kerio reseller. Articles here related to Kerio products reflect my honest opinion, but I do have an obvious interest in selling those products also.

Specific links that take you to pages that allow you to purchase the item I reviewed are very likely to pay me a commission. Many of the books I review were given to me by the publishers specifically for the purpose of writing a review. These gifts and referral fees do not affect my opinions; I often give bad reviews anyway.

We use Google third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

g_face.jpg

This post tagged:

       - Conversion
       - Disks/Filesystems
       - Linux
       - OLDSCO
       - SCO_OSR5
       - Virtualization

My Troubleshooting E-Book will show you how to solve tough problems on Linux and Unix systems!

book graphic unix and linux troubleshooting guide

Buy Kerio from a dealer
who knows tech:
I sell and support

Kerio Connect Mail server, Control, Workspace and Operator licenses and subscription renewals

Click and enter your name and phone number to call me about Kerio® products right now (Flash required)