From: "Brian K. White" <br...@aljex.com>
Subject: Re: Alternative to SCO
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 23:21:14 -0400
<7ftcg3543jkl3933s8trlopgdbamo3vgj0@4ax.com> > Actually, it's easier to deal with the old systems. The main > advantage is the very small sizes of the OS and applications. For > example, the Xenix system fits in about 500MBytes, most of which is > data. Just to point out for those unfamiliar with Xenix, the OS itself is actually under 50, heck, under 10!. An entire Xenix filesystem can not even exceed 512M, though you can have multiple 512M fs's mounted for a total system that exceeds 512M. However, a 320M Xenix system IS huge when you remember all the options you don't have for getting data off of a Xenix box. * Networking - nope. (it existed but I never saw a single box with it, just like the C compiler) * Serial (kermit/rz/sz not PPP, no networking!) - yes, but only at 9600 unless you have a 3rd party serial card driver and card and the right kind of serial cable. Hopefully the box has a 3.5" floppy drive at least to copy gzip, rz, sz, and kermit onto the box in the first place, or else you are in for some real nostalgia using cu and %put or %take and learning how great we all hove it now that most communications protocols have built-in error detection, correction and/or retransmit, which cu put/take does not! Oh, and beware even if it is a 3.5" drive, it might well actually be a 720K drive not a 1.44M drive! * hd transplant to new hardware to continue to run xenix - if you can find a 486-100 or slower box that actully runs, reliably. (think 20 year old dried out capacitors all out of spec making the circuit unstable at the very least, if not a fire hazard! Not kidding! Seen it! Caps out of spec, so voltage regulator circuit out of spec, cooked several parts of the board, dried up stickers on components and on circuit traces caught fire!). * hd transplant for linux to read - linux can mount xenix fs's but it can't parse xenix divvy tables to know where the fs's start & stop. Theoretically you can read the divvy table yourself while still in xenix and write down the numbers and calculate the offsets yourself manually and use dd in linux to extract the fs to a seperate file. If you can manage that then linux can loopback mount the extracted image files effortlessly. I never managed it but I think Bela once described the basic steps here. * hd to hd copy to create partitions or cpio files that linux CAN read - if you can find a hard drive small enough that an old 486-66 motherboard bios can even see it. * tar/cpio to floppies - yep, that works. You need to know how to reassemble sco's multi-volume tar files unless you happen to be restoring onto a newer sco os instead of linux or freebsd. It's not conceptually hard, but is incredibly tedious and thus prone to human error, but a simple script can and has been written to automate that. So the only problem is that it's almost impossible to write to 200 floppies and read from them and have not one of them turn out corrupt. An you must be ok with spending a few solid hours feeding/swapping floppies into machines every couple minutes. ...hm... I could modify the sco-tar script so that it will retry any given volume and not proceed on to subsequent volumes until you say this one was OK, giving you a chance to throw away the bad floppy and regenerate the volume on the source machine instead of having to start the entire job over from the beginning. But is there a way to do the same thing on the source machine that is generating the volumes? Have it regenerate a given volume as many times as you ask, before proceeding on the the next, giving you a chance to read a volume and discover it's bad instead of having to start the entire job from the beginning. hm... * tape drive - if you can find working media for the ancient tape drive in the xenix box, and if that drive and it's controller card can then be moved and be installed on linux, or if you can install a newer drive on the xenix box. * cd burner - put down the Lagavulin.

So, when faced with an old xenix box, you are actually faced with a pretty
big problem getting that system off onto other hardware or OS in less time
than a full weekend unless you are well prepred ahead of time with things
you would have a hard time finding on short notice.

Someone recently posted on this list that they worked out a recipe for
taking a full xenix raw hd image and running it in a bochs or qemu emulator.
I'm dying to try that. If that's possible, then that opens up a fast
migration option by just taking the hard drive out of the xenix box and
plugging into any linux box, dd an image of the whole disk in linux in no
time. You could do it with a laptop and a usb drive enclosure and the drive
could be cloned and right back into production in the old box in a few
minutes if necessary. Then you get that working in linux at your leisure,
then some other time update the clone and switch over to it for live
production in as little as a few minutes.

Brian K. White    br...@aljex.com    http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
filePro  BBx    Linux  SCO  FreeBSD    #callahans  Satriani  Filk!

If this page was useful to you, please help others find it:

4 comments

Click here to add your comments
- no registration needed!

Mon Sep 7 16:25:45 2009: 6869   TonyLawrence

gravatar
I saw networked Xenix once. It was in New York State at a place that bred laboratory animals.

See "Data Transfer" http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/datatran.html

Sat Dec 15 23:15:54 2012: 11549   anonymous

gravatar

I am still running xenix with 4 terminals. In the future i may have to run under linux with Qemu, As IDE hard drive is getting harder to find. Few suggestions will be helpful. Any thing with windows os are too unstable for me.The greatest advantage i find in xenix is its size(very small) which bring less chance of error in my book.

Sat Dec 15 23:53:22 2012: 11550   TonyLawrence

gravatar

I have no remaining memories of Xenix.. I do think you must be among the very last!

Sun Dec 16 18:17:37 2012: 11552   BigDumbDinosaur
http://bcstechnology.net
gravatar

I have no remaining memories of Xenix. I do think you must be among the very last!

Last time I touched a Xenix box was in 2004 and that was to copy all the files to tape and transfer them to an OSR5 box. Fortunately the box used SCSI instead of IDE drives, so I was able to get a DD4 tape drive running in it, making life a lot easier. After completing the cutover the the OSR5 box, the Xenix machine (a 80386 running at a screaming 20 MHz) was sent off to the recycler, where it was no doubt converted into several iPhones.

Don't miss responses! Subscribe to Comments by RSS or by Email

Click here to add your comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar

This is a Unix/Linux resource website. It contains technical articles about Unix, Linux and general computing related subjects, opinion, news, help files, how-to's, tutorials and more. We appreciate comments and article submissions.

Publishing your articles here

Jump to Comments

Many of the products and books I review are things I purchased for my own use. Some were given to me specifically for the purpose of reviewing them. I resell or can earn commissions from the sale of some of these items. Links within these pages may be affiliate links that pay me for referring you to them. That's mostly insignificant amounts of money; whenever it is not I have made my relationship plain. I also may own stock in companies mentioned here. If you have any question, please do feel free to contact me.

I am a Kerio reseller. Articles here related to Kerio products reflect my honest opinion, but I do have an obvious interest in selling those products also.

Specific links that take you to pages that allow you to purchase the item I reviewed are very likely to pay me a commission. Many of the books I review were given to me by the publishers specifically for the purpose of writing a review. These gifts and referral fees do not affect my opinions; I often give bad reviews anyway.

We use Google third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

g_face.jpg

This post tagged:

       - Conversion
       - OLDSCO
       - SCO_OSR5
       - Xenix

My Troubleshooting E-Book will show you how to solve tough problems on Linux and Unix systems!

book graphic unix and linux troubleshooting guide

Buy Kerio from a dealer
who knows tech:
I sell and support

Kerio Connect Mail server, Control, Workspace and Operator licenses and subscription renewals

Click and enter your name and phone number to call me about Kerio® products right now (Flash required)